Friday, December 12, 2014

Stitch Fix December 2014: Mother Daughter Affair

My mom is an amazing woman.  She is a woman of strength, courage, and talent.  She is also tender-hearted and compassionate.  She also is a lover of clothes (we have to get it from somewhere).  So, when she said she wanted to try Stitch Fix, I helped her sign up immediately.  It was fun going through the style profile with her and trying to figure out her style.  The items I thought she would like, she didn't and the things I thought she would not like, she liked.  Go figure.

After we set up her Stitch Fix, I went back to mine and rescheduled it so that we would receive our boxes at the same time.  We planned to have a little fashion show when I got home from work.  Unfortunately, that did not happen.  My mom's box actually came early while mine was actually delivered late.

This time I asked for chunky cardigans and sweaters and a cute holiday skirt.

So, here is what my mom received in her first box (isn't she cute?):

Renee C Macklin Polka Dot Print V-Neck Blouse ($28) and Margaret M Emer High Waisted Cropped Trouser ($98)

The pants had an elastic waist and if it were a size bigger would have looked really nice on my mom.  The shirt was a nice pattern and fit on top nicely.  However, as you can see, the pants were bright green (plus a size too small) and the shirt was an awkward length.

Verdict:  Returned

19 Cooper Cathleen Split-Neck Tulip-Sleeve Blouse  ($48)



The color and fit was great for my mom.  But the V-neck line was really flimsy and kept flopping down.  My mom had to continuously adjust herself and she was obviously really uncomfortable in it.

Verdict: Returned

Pixley Edmond Chevron Print Henley Shirt ($54) and Look by M Wallace Zig Zag Border Infinity Scarf ($38)
The shirt was a very soft material, great color, and made my mom look long and lean.  It was also machine-washable.  The scarf was also great quality and very soft.  However, the price was expensive for something so thin and cotton.  The scarf was too thick and once it was wrapped twice on my mom's neck, she couldn't move around.

Verdict:  Kept the shirt!  It looked great on my mom and she will probably get a lot of wear out of it.  Returned the scarf.

And here is what I received in my second box:

Laila Jayde Payton Faux Suede Cardigan ($68) 


 

I asked for a chunky cardigan and I got a suede cardigan. After getting over the disappointment of getting something completely not my style or what I asked for, I tried it on. It's very soft and smooth cause of the suede material but just didn't look right. It felt like I came right off of a modern version of The Matrix. It was too long and I just couldn't see myself reaching for this piece often if at all. 

Verdict: Return

Laila Jayde Vincent V-Neck Hi-Lo Knit Top ($58)



Ummm..I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm not opposed to the high-low tee look but this is not a good look. They actually suggested styling this with a skirt but it's too long in the back. It looks like I have a cape or some weird wings attached to my back. I told them I'm going up north for the winter so they sent me this thin colorless, shapeless t-shirt material top. At least it's long-sleeves?

(The jeans are the $14 ones I bought from the Loft last week--which I absolutely LOVE)

Verdict: Return

Collective Concepts Gustav Textured V-Neck Sweater ($58)




I asked for a chunky sweater and this is probably the closest to what I asked for but it just isn't quite right. It's soft and fit okay but I kinda felt like I was wearing a rug. Maybe it's the ployester material. Also, the arm had a funny stitch (almost as if they originally made it short sleeves and added the rest of the sleeves later).  


Verdict: return

Market and Spruce Jay Mini Houndstooth Printed Skirt ($58)


I asked for a fun holiday skirt. I wouldn't say this skirt is fun or holiday-ish. I feel like it ages me and the length is too long. It's not long enough to be a midi skirt and it doesn't have enough structure to be an a-line. It's a thin knit fabric and something I could easily sew. The print is cute but not cute enough for me to keep. 

Verdict: Return

Bay to Baubles Sia Triangle Link Necklace ($28)



This necklace was probably the only thing I considered keeping from the box but I didn't love it. Maybe it's cause I was so unhappy with the rest of the box and this necklace wasn't making a huge statement. 

Verdict: Return 

Final thoughts:  I have to say Stitch Fix has great customer service.  I was so disappointed with my box that I sent them an email last night expressing my dissatisfaction and they responded immediately.  They acknowledged that this box was a total miss given my Pinterest, comments, and previous feedback and offered to style another box for me with the styling fee waived.  I appreciated their effort in trying to keep me happy.

It's a lot of fun when a box of clothes comes for you, but I think it's important that it feels like the box was curated just for you and not just thrown together randomly.  I was definitely let down with my box this time. Maybe it's best to not request anything specific.  I think when I request something (like chunky cardigans) and I get something not expected (like a faux suede cardigan), I feel disappointed.  It doesn't matter how nice the item is, it's still not what I wanted in my head.  I have seen other bloggers get some really great stuff so I know they have the potential but the question is how do you get them to listen?  I have a pinterest board that I think accurately reflects my style, I give them plenty of feedback when I return items, and I make specific requests.  Obviously stitch fix and I have to work on our communication but hoping that their offer to pay closer attention to my next fix will help get us into a good groove.  

If you're interested in trying, here's my mom's referral code.  She'll get a $25 credit if you sign up.

4 comments: